But, there are other things that I like to do periodically and I use this weekend as a reminder to get them done.
- If you have a bug out bag (BOB) or any EDC gear, this is the weekend to check them out. Check for expired medications, refresh your first aid kit, check any batteries for leakage and voltage (you should be using lithium batteries anyway) and just go through your kits. Evaluate them to see if any items are still relevant in terms of technology or any new skills you have learned in the past 6 months.
- Replace your Bic lighters. They are cheap to begin with and their ferrocium flints can, and will, deteriorate over time.
- All ferro rods will deteriorate over time due to oxidation. Coat your ferro rods with clear nail polish or any type of nail polish. Coating them will stave oxidation off.
- Do you have any water stored? You should have one gallon per day, per person stored up somewhere. It's time to refresh it also. I generally put seven drops of bleach (unscented, named brand) per gallon to ensure that nothing grows in it while in storage.
- Check the tire pressure of your spare tire. When in the hell did you do that last? Probably never. Wouldn't you hate to have a flat, only to discover that your spare is flat also?
- Check, clean and lube any firearms.
- If you wear eyeglasses, do you have your latest old pair in your BOB or emergency kit? Today might be the day to make sure they are in good condition and a prescription that you could wear for extended periods.
- Check and rotate any foods that you have stored.
- And also, make sure, if you have pets, they have all their foods and medications in storage taken care of.
- Do you have any leather footwear? Get them ready for the snow and harsh elements that winter brings.